Sunday, June 17, 2012

the men in my life

I have 3 incredible men in my life. Each one plays a different role. Each are dear to me in their own way. Each have helped me have a greater understanding of who I am. When choosing a middle name for Olive, we decided to use the middle initial G after Grant (my father, and Garry Brett's father) We wanted her to know that she has two incredible examples she can alway look to in times of need. 

............................................................................................................................................................

Charles Grant King aka: Father, Poppi, Dad, Grant.

This man was the first "man" I saw. He was with me in my premortal state. I don't exactly know how we are formed into families, or how we get the callings in life that we do, but I do know that I knew him before I came. I also know that when I saw him for the first time, I was grateful for his familiarity. He helped get me through my colicy phase of life. I'm sure I wasn't easy to love when my screams peeled paint from the walls of my parent's small apartment. He loved me as an infant anyway. As a toddler he encouraged my first steps. He coaxed me to say my first words and make my first sounds. 

As a child he taught me how to ride a bike. He meticulously edited my english papers. He would also grill me on my spelling lists. I remember as a child grabbing my list, handing it to him, waiting to go over the words. He would glance over the words, fold the list in half (in order to make the paper thicker, I had a way of reading the black print and cheating) and then would instruct me to sit on the fireplace hearth. He would list the words, grade them, mark the incorrect ones in red ink. Look up at me, smirk, "write the wrong ones ten times, Lauren, then come back and try them again." As a child I detested my spelling list. I would sigh heavily with every word I got wrong. I remember staring at every word I had to write ten times with malice. I'm sure I whined profusely when I got the same word wrong over and over again, but looking back now, I'm grateful for the time he invested in me and my education. 

As I grew older I remember backpacking trips, FHE nights, BBQ's in the back yard. Camping, chats at dinner. Raised eyebrows, frowns, glares, disappointed looks as a teen during my dating years (I tended to stay out way to late.) I regret those now... and after being a parent myself I REALLY regret those years.... But I always knew he cared for me and loved me. 

He was always there to give me a priesthood blessing. He honors the covenants he has made with my mother. He respects her and gave me an example to follow when choosing my spouse. He gives me words of council, advice, and encouragement as I grow older. Now he is a confidant and someone I respect as a peer. 

My dad has been with me through all the monumental moments of my life: My birth, my baby's blessing, my baptism, my temple sealing, and he stood in the circle of blessing of my little girl. 

In choosing a spouse I knew I wanted someone who exemplified the qualities that my dad has. A man who honors his family, and his Priesthood. 

Thank you dad.

Thank you for helping me gain a testimony. For gaining a love of the outdoors. For supporting me. For believing in me. I am who I am because of you. 
................................................................................................................................................................

Garry Wayne Davis: GW, Father in law, Garry, Coyote. 

Boy did I get lucky when I got this man as a father in law. My heart has a tender spot in it for GW. In the 3 years I have known him, I honestly cannot say I have seen a bad side to him. He is golden through and through. 

Some of my favorite times with Garry is sitting around a campfire, a living room, or a backyard bbq, listening to all the cool adventures this guy has had. Aside from being a fantastic father, and grandfather, he is also a man of many talents, and has a nature of service. He has touched the lives of many through the good deeds he doles out. 

Say Garry comes over to your house and your faucet is slightly wobbly (I know this from experience) he will turn the water on, turn the water off, look at the faucet, turn his head to the side, examine it further, march into the garage, grab some tools, and get to work. Do you have to ask the man to help you? No. You do not. You'll come marching down the stairs of your home, see him fixing up random items in your house, and feel his love for you because he is eager and willing to serve. 

I also have fond memories of all the small adventures he is happy to go on. Garry is always willing to take an adventure into the foothills to go rock hounding; Or he is happy to invite you to get driftwood from the banks of a reservoir on a rainy day -Even if the good wood is in a spot where "common folk" aren't allowed to go- Yes Garry is a phenomenal guy. A man of many talents. 

More importantly however... Garry is a spiritual Giant. I always know he is there for council, direction, edification, and guidance. If you have a question..... chances are Garry will help you find the answer, and then teach you a lesson after. 

Thank you Garry, for treating me like a daughter, building wooden boxes with me, allowing me to hang with you in your coyote den, and for being a great influence in my life!

............................................................................................................................................................


Last but DEFINITELY not least. My main man....

Brett Garry Davis: husband, BD, B. Davis, Brett. Berty, Sexy, Handsome, and this year.... drum roll please.... DAD!

Where to even start. A thank you post on a blog surely does not do this man justice. This year he has shown me a whole different layer of love. He embarked on an incredible journey with me this year as he and I became parents.  As a father, Brett has shown unconditional love to his daughter. He has rocked her to sleep, spoken softly in her ear, sang to her, spoke in a goofy high voice to her, given her tender fatherly kisses on her cheeks, changed her (I will have you know, he has changed more diapers than I have) and has eagerly tended to every cry, squawk, giggle and laugh. 

You know a man is great when he treats you with unconditional love, but you know a man is truly honorable when you see him softly tend to the needs of his daughter. 

Through his sacrifices, I have grown to love him more and more each day. I love him for a lot of things... but the greatest asset this man brings to our home is his honor for the priesthood. What a spirit of strength this gives our home. What a protection this man gives our family. What a blessing it is to our marriage. 

Thank you for setting the ultimate example for our daughter. I truly love you. 

Enjoy your first Father's day BD! You truly deserve to have a great day to pay tribute to all you do! 


No comments: